Re: [platform-ui-dev] Editors view feature or defect (?)

> Are you telling us that you use alt+forward/alt+back with one hand only?

Aherm. I use a perverted (/awesome) keyboard which happens to let me reach
alt+left/right with my left hand. Sometimes I forget that the keys I can
reach are not necessarily the keys everyone else can reach. Sorry about that.
:) For the record, I can't reach alt+F6 with one hand on any keyboard.

> We are thinking about the bug 5700 which I think would fix the problem:
> "there's a place for the buttons." Do you agree?

Bug 5700 is an interesting problem and I really can't comment on the buttons
without knowing what you have in mind as the solution. After looking at the
APIs available to solve this problem (or lack thereof), I'm starting to think
that we should just solve the JDT problem. That is, we should just provide a
mechanism to go "back" from F3 (Shift+F3?) or at most, a mechanism that ties
into F3 and the outliner in which case the buttons might make more sense on
the outliner toolbar.

The only other comment I have on the buttons is that I was thinking of making
the buttons function like most web-browser history buttons. Just clicking the
button takes you back/forward, but there would be a cheval (sp?) connected to
the button that you could pull down to select from the entire history.
Depending on your perspective, this would be a step in the right or wrong
direction toward resolving the redundancy between the F6 pop-up and the view.

> I agree with promoting closeEditors(ref,boolean) to API. The idea is that
> the views such as Navigator, Bookmark and now EditorsList should be
> implemented using API only. Even though the are in the same plugin they
> are thought as separated.

I strongly support the API-only approach, so that's good news.

> ... Maybe we could promote the
> getReference(IEditorPart) so you would not have to use getPane(..)
> anymore.

That would make me happy. For interested parties, this is covered in Bug
22317.

- Jared

Back to the top