Re: [platform-ui-dev] Workbench editor cycling

When the workbench is first opened, the editors are displayed in the view in
the order that their tabs are displayed, because this is the order they are
given from the Workbench. As new editors are opened, they're just added to
the end. If you have the sort button pressed, they're shown in alphabetical
order (like the outliner).

I can understand the desire to see the history in order from the view, but I
wonder if it would be too distracting (/irritating) to have the view re-sort
itself everytime you activate a new editor.

An alternative to this might be to add a pulldown menu to the
forward/backward history buttons which would display the history like most
web browsers do. This would allow you to easily browse the history order of
the editors without the need for constantly reordering the list.

I've been thinking of the view as a more managable representation of the
editor tabs, but the "docked history" approach could be useful as well.
I'll give it more thought. Thanks for the feedback.

- Jared

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 08:07 pm, Tsai, Philip wrote:
>  Since I am unsure whether this is a bug, I will elaborate on the
> difference between the editor list shown through Ctrl+F6 and EditorList
> Viewer:
>
>  Ctrl+F6 looks to be a stack-based list -- the most recently (and
> currently) viewed  editor always goes to the top of the list --, whereas
> the most recently viewed ones don't always go to the top of list in
> EditorList Viewer.  This was the "jumping" behavior I previously described
> and was the confusing point to me....
>
>  Upon closer look, the EditorList Viewer has such behavior: only previously
> unopened editor goes to the bottom of the list.  If the now-viewed editor
> is already in the list, the selection jumps to that item in the list (but
> doesn't put that item at the bottom or top of the list).  Now using forward
> and backward buttons, users can see the current selection jump from one
> place on the list to another.
>
>  If such analysis is corrent, I prefer the stack-based approach of Ctrl+F6
> -- since it is more intuitive and corresponds more closely to the behavior
> one is accustomed to when using a web browser: most recently viewed are at
> the top of the list.  :-)
>
>  Thanks!
>  Philip

Back to the top