Re: [platform-ui-dev] Editor tabs

I'd like to see the Tabs dissappear entirely, so I can have more space.
How about making the EditorPane and other View Pane's pluggable via an
extension point.  Just like the help.ui, there could only be one extender.

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Jay                   |
|         |           Cagle/Raleigh/IBM@IBMU|
|         |           S                     |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           platform-ui-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           05/02/2002 01:09 PM   |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           platform-ui-dev       |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |       To:       platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                |
  |       cc:                                                                                                  |
  |       Subject:  [platform-ui-dev] Editor tabs                                                              |
  |                                                                                                            |
  |                                                                                                            |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have a couple suggestions regarding editor tabs.  I'm glad to see that
the scrolling idea (with the left and right arrow buttons) has been removed
-- I found that not very usable and frustrating.

In the 0501 build, the editor tabs are proportionally reduced in size as
more editors are open.  I'd like to suggest that the tab for the active
editor be made full-sized (large enough to display the editor title).  This
would allow the user to see what's being edited without having to hover
over the tab.  Granted it would reduce the space available for the
non-active editor tabs, but I think it would be worth it.

Second, the tooltip delay on the editor tabs makes it slow to find an open
editor.  (Yes, I know about Ctrl+F6.)  I think removing the delay
altogether (so the tooltip is displayed as soon as you move the mouse to
the tab) would help.  Or maybe better yet would be to use an approach like
the tree viewer -- as you mouse over an editor tab display the complete
title in a rectangle overlaid on the truncated title (instead of a tooltip
below the tab).  This would also have the benefit that the tooltip could be
different than the title.

Jay

Jay Cagle
IBM WebSphere Studio Web Tooling Development
(919) 254-6906 (t/l 444), jcagle@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top