Re: [platform-ua-dev] Dynamically generated TOC ?

Hi David,

Funny you ask, I just finished adding this in 3.3. A new element was added to the org.eclipse.help.toc extension point, tocProvider. This allows you to plug-in a class (ITocProvider) which will return either a complete or partial TOC which can be linked into or wrap other TOCs. As a reference implementation, the existing toc XML file parser is now using this extension, and each toc XML file is contributed as a single ITocContribution. Later on the same will be done for remote help, where TOCs can come from a remote infocenter and have to be merged in with the local content.

One of the reasons for doing this was that many doc teams do not write HTML, TOC xml, etc directly, but use a different format and then do a conversion at build time. The end goal is to allow them to ship plug-ins with docs in any format and the content will be converted at run-time on the fly.

Curt

David Ayre <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ua-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

27/07/2006 01:52 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform User Assistance component developers list." <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-ua-dev] Dynamically generated TOC ?

I've had a peek at the code, but there doesn't seem to be any way to add
to the TOC programatically.  Does anyone know if this is possible ?

Much of my help documentation is essentially coming from property file
values in combination with some reflection.  I know how to generate the
HTML to view this using the help content producers, and to have this
displayed via the contextual/infopop help mechanism, but there doesn't
seem to be a way to generate TOC to link to them so links to them appear
in the main help TOC.

This isn't a huge deal, since these help documents can theoretically be
generated once using some script during the build process, but i thought
it would "neat" to be able to do this at runtime...

Any thoughts / pointers ?