Re: [platform-ua-dev] Conditional help text in Eclipse 3.2

Dejan Glozic wrote:

Although we are now discovering use cases for either/or filtering, I think
'major weakness' is too strong a word. The use cases we have seen so far
are documents that have common text and some sections that are only valid
when certain conditions are met. In theory, an 'else' branch of the filter
seems useful but we wanted to see the use cases before making the filtering
system another quasi language.
Investigating use cases is a fine idea.

In the case of Red Hat, we would prefer to have our version of the online documentation display only the Linux perspective: path names should have UNIX slashes, references to accessing help should work on Linux, and so on--hence the need for conditional text. However, we want to create online help files that would also work in other environments--such as the infocenter. Unfortunately, the current filtering scheme just doesn't enable us to do that, but John Arthorne's <span filter="infocenter"> / <span filter="!infocenter"> idea would be fine.

Best regards,
Michael Behm
Red Hat (Canada) Ltd.

Back to the top