Re: [platform-ua-dev] Re: platform-ua-dev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 1

Jodi,

Stylesheet 'books_disabled.css' is used to add additional styles for markup
that is injected when the topic to view belongs to a capability/role that
is currently disabled. Essentially the injected information warns the user
about this fact and offers a button to enable the capability/role directly
from the document. This style sheet is added to the regular list of sheet
to style only this section of the document.

Styles are used for all the platforms -we don't have platform-specific
styles.

You can tell if your style is picked up by trial and error (just set the
body background to green or something and you will see :-). If you are
adding content on top of Eclipse SDK, you don't need to do anything.
However, if you define your own product, you will need to make a copy of
css files in your product plug-in.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4850

             "Jodi Karzowski"
             <jkarzowski@gmail
             Sent by:                  platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             platform-ua-dev-b                                          cc
             ounces@xxxxxxxxxx
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [platform-ua-dev] Re:
                                       platform-ua-dev Digest, Vol 7,
             05/04/2006 01:04          Issue 1
             PM

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse Platform
              User Assistance
                 component
             developers list."
             <platform-ua-dev@
               eclipse.org>

Thanks Dejan, that's very helpful--wish I'd posted this months ago; I'd
have saved myself a lot of grief and time.

One final question and thanks in advance... What does books_disabled.css
do? And finally, because I still don't quite understand this... how are the
styles applied to all the different operating systems? I would like to not
have to make stylesheets for our helpdoc for all the editions of Solaris
and Unix, et al... but how do I know my helpdocs are picking up those
stylesheets properly, assuming I use the same book.css with it's one line
(import PRODUCT_PLUGIN/book.css) in my own plugin product directory?
[Basically, I just want to use the same CSS styles that are used for the
Eclipse doc.]

Is the stylesheet documented somewhere? (Not to be confused with the style
guide which I already know about.)

~Jodi

  Jodi,

  'PRODUCT_PLUGIN' is the plug-in/bundle that contributes active product
  that
  is used to launch Eclipse. When you launch Eclipse SDK, this plug-in is
  org.eclipse.sdk and book.css can be found there. The fact that you are
  seeing the indirection is due to historic reasons (we had book.css in
  each
  document plug-in). If we were to start from scratch, we would have
  'PLUGINS_ROOT/PRODUCT_PLUGIN/book.css' in each document.

  For your own product, place your book.css in the plug-in that contributes
  the active product.

  The other CSS you are mentioning (narrow_book.css) is a version of the
  CSS
  that is applied to documents when shown inside the dynamic Help view
  inside
  Eclipse perspective. We offer the opportunity to revise some settings to
  make documents fit better in the smaller and narrower space (notice how
  documents use smaller fonts when shown there).

  Regards,

  Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
  Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
  D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
  IBM Canada Ltd.
  Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
  Fax. 905 413-4850

              "Jodi Karzowski"
              <jkarzowski@gmail
              Sent by:                   platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
              platform-ua-dev-b                                          cc
              ounces@xxxxxxxxxx
              g                                                     Subject

                                        [platform-ua-dev] Need help with
                                        Eclipse book.css file
              05/03/2006 07:24
              PM

              Please respond to
              "Eclipse Platform
               User Assistance
                  component
              developers list."
              <platform-ua-dev@
                eclipse.org >

  Can anyone point me to an in depth discussion and/or book on how css [for
  the help files] works in eclispe? I don't mean the css technology, I mean
  how the style sheets are packaged and why there is so much indirection. I

  still haven't been able to locate the actual css file that comes with the
  help plugin. I see a book.css stylesheet but when I open it, there is one
  line: @import "../PRODUCT_PLUGIN/book.css"; and since there is no
  "product_plugin" directory...(or any comment for that matter explaining
  how
  this line is resolved) I have to assume this is a pointer to some other
  directory-- but how is it resolved and where do I find the css for each
  platform and more to the point, how can I change it? Clearly it's getting
  the styles from somewhere.

  When I did a search on my eclispse installation, I noticed a number of
  css
  files (some zipped, others not; a narrow-book.css, etc.) In any event, it
  would be enormously helpful to know how the eclipse helpdoc backend
  works.

  I know about setting up the toc.xml and the html files, etc. What I'm
  having the most trouble with is understanding how the CSS is resolved for

  all the platforms.

  platform-ua-dev mailing list
  platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

  End of platform-ua-dev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 1