RE: [platform-team-dev] How come Eclipse Team Plugins are notconsistent

Thanks very much for your response.

From: platform-team-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:platform-team-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Valenta
Sent: 31 October 2008 00:38
To: Generic team support framework
Subject: Re: [platform-team-dev] How come Eclipse Team Plugins are notconsistent

Richie,

While there is some Team API that can be used by repository providers to ease their integration into Eclipse, there is no generic Eclipse Team API that is intended for use by 3rd parties. Some of the Team API could potentially be used by third parties but there is no way to enforce that all repository providers implement this API.

The problem with providing a generic Team API for use by third parties is that is a very complicated task due to the differences in the many repository types available. Most previous attempts at defining such an API have not been very successful (e.g. JSR 147).

Michael