[platform-swt-dev] SWT enhancements

Hi,

for those, who don't know me: I am Stefan, you might have met me (or not ...) on a few EclipseCons in the past mainly talking about EMF.CDO stuff. A few months ago I dived a bit into Platform.UI, related to the dark theme and CSS engine.

Why I am actually writing this message: I'd like to see a few features in SWT which are not there, yet.

For example, to make the dark theme more usable, there is Platform Bug 440247 which basically states that we should be able to set (override) the *org.eclipse.swt.SWT.COLOR_INFO_BACKGROUND* and *org.eclipse.swt.SWT.COLOR_INFO_FOREGROUND* constants from CSS.
That however, seems impossible to me on Platform.UI level. What is needed is a Display.setSystemColor() method.

Then, there are Bug 419377 and Bug 430208 which call for CSS support for transparency (or even semi-transparency) and a CSS 'inherit' property. Those are hard, or even impossible to implement in the CSS engine without suitable support in SWT.

So my question is: Can I open Bugs against SWT and just try to start contributing enhancements? Or should these be discussed here (or somewhere else) first? Or is SWT considered to be too 'finished' to add such features?

Also, if I start contributing, how do I do it? (I have read https://www.eclipse.org/swt/fixbugs.php and cloned the SWT repository, I know how to use Gerrit etc. but what else - more SWT-specific - is there to know?)
As there is no declared (platform-independent) interface for SWT classes, I could pretty much break compatibility, if I don't add the same method to all platforms, right? Is there a test mechanism that validates and cross-checks the platform-dependent bundles for compatibility?

Best,
Stefan

Back to the top