Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT enhancements

Hi Stefan,

unfortunately the SWT dev list is not very responsive.

I (as part of the platform.ui team) would like to see these changes, so if you can contribute them to SWT via Gerrit that would be awesome.

You definitely need to add new methods to all platforms. Here is an extract from my interview with Lakshmi (co-SWT project lead) for my "Contribute to the Eclipse project" book. I hope this helps:

---------------------------
Where can a contributor find information how to contribute?

The How to fix a bug in SWT [http://eclipse.org/swt/fixbugs.php] link is the place to start. It provides
useful information including the steps to setup the development environment, links to articles, Bugzilla
and operating system documentation.

The project home page [http://eclipse.org/swt/] is also a great place to find useful resources and links
to articles, downloads, frequently asked questions lists, etc.

The SWT newsgroup is a very active user discussion and help forum. See the Eclipse Community
Forums page (expand Eclipse Projects to see SWT) for information on this. SWT development is
discussed and tracked in the Eclipse bugzilla [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/] under the Platform/SWT
component. You can subscribe to the new bug inbox by watching platform-swt-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx from
your Bugzilla email preferences. If you are modifying or porting SWT and have questions, try the SWT

When someone wants to contribute a new feature or API, he should first open a bug in Bugzilla and
start a discussion to involve the team and community. A contributor can submit his contribution as
a patch through the Gerrit review system for review. It is always good to provide a test case or test
snippet to test the patch.

--------------------------

Best regards, LarsĀ

for those, who don't know me: I am Stefan, you might have met me (or not ...) on a few EclipseCons in the past mainly talking about EMF.CDO stuff. A few months ago I dived a bit into Platform.UI, related to the dark theme and CSS engine.

Why I am actually writing this message: I'd like to see a few features in SWT which are not there, yet.

For example, to make the dark theme more usable, there is Platform Bug 440247 which basically states that we should be able to set (override) the *org.eclipse.swt.SWT.COLOR_INFO_BACKGROUND* and *org.eclipse.swt.SWT.COLOR_INFO_FOREGROUND* constants from CSS.
That however, seems impossible to me on Platform.UI level. What is needed is a Display.setSystemColor() method.

Then, there are Bug 419377 and Bug 430208 which call for CSS support for transparency (or even semi-transparency) and a CSS 'inherit' property. Those are hard, or even impossible to implement in the CSS engine without suitable support in SWT.

So my question is: Can I open Bugs against SWT and just try to start contributing enhancements? Or should these be discussed here (or somewhere else) first? Or is SWT considered to be too 'finished' to add such features?

Also, if I start contributing, how do I do it? (I have read https://www.eclipse.org/swt/fixbugs.php and cloned the SWT repository, I know how to use Gerrit etc. but what else - more SWT-specific - is there to know?)
As there is no declared (platform-independent) interface for SWT classes, I could pretty much break compatibility, if I don't add the same method to all platforms, right? Is there a test mechanism that validates and cross-checks the platform-dependent bundles for compatibility?

Best,
Stefan