Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT libraries on 64-bit JVM

On 24 May 2011, at 00:14, Marc Downie <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've missed most of the conversation, but...

** Note that the 32-bit Cocoa or Carbon port will always throw an
UnsatisfiedLinkError if you are running with a 64 bit OSX Kernel. For SWT to
be loaded, the Kernel, JVM and SWT port must all use the same bitness.

... I don't believe that this is true. The bitness of the kernel is
decoupled from the bitness of the JVM. You can load a 64 bit VM (and
SWT port) on a 32 bit OSX Kernel and a 32 bit VM (and SWT port) on a
64 bit Kernel. I run 64-bit VM / SWT on a 32-bit Kernel regularly.

Right, the java command has -d32 and -d64 which can be run on either kernel. It is this value which must match the SWT libs.

The default JVM mode to use is specified elsewhere though. It may be the case that on a 64-bit kernel the JVM is configured to run in 64 bit mode (c.f. 32) but this default can be changed, as can the kernel boot.

Alex

Back to the top