Re: [platform-swt-dev] Adobe Air UI for SWT? or Similar

On Aug 5, 2010, at 6:59 PM, Andrew Sealy-Bell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to build a Java app. that has nice UI very similar to an Adobe Air UI.  Does anybody know it something like this is already available or under development?  I don't want to switch to SilverLight just to get a UI that is similar..
>
> Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Flex (and by extension, AIR) has a very distinctive look and feel that doesn't look like any other platform out there, so there will be a lot of work to get your Java UI to look like the AIR UI.

There was a port of the SWT to Flex that was started up last year as a part of the e4 project (SWT Browser Edition), but it was put on hold, and no active development is underway on it. I don't recall how complete it is. It involves cross-compilation of your Java to ActionScript, and then into a SWF.

I believe you can find the project in the e4 CVS repository -- there may be some instructions on how to build it there.

-- Scott K.

Scott Kovatch
IBM
Eclipse Platform Team