RE: [platform-swt-dev] possible XML SWT markup language?

Dave,

No problem. Obviously Jython is a scripting language whereas XML is a markup
language, so why did I mention Jython? It really has to do with application.
Some of the time that you would want to use XML to create UIs with SWT, Jython,
a full powered scripting language might be a better choice. Im not suggesting
that XML stuff shouldnt go on, but sometimes a scripting language might be
better.

Lets get practical and talk some scenarios. You can define a SWT screen in XML.
Cool. Then you have to have a controller of some kind to process the XML and
create the SWT components at run time. That can be useful for static screens.
But say you want to do something dynamic? You can build functionality into a
controller, but every time you want to do something new you have to add new
functionality into the controller. Thats because XML is essentially a huge
datastructure- defining hierarchical data. But it is not a programming
language. So you cant do anything dynamic really in the XML.

With a scripting language on the other hand you can create programmatic
constructs to do things like create a button or page for every item in
(array|list|hashtable|etc). Not to say that you always want to do this but
there are some advantages.

Basically, there are some advantages to using a scripting language. If you want
to get away from writing SWT code, you can reduce it by about half using a
scripting language while not sacrificing functionality. I believe this is as
interesting and useful as XML markup and should be considered in parallel.

Thoughts?
-jonathan

=====