[platform-swt-dev] SWT port for Swing!

Hi,

A week and a half ago I started to port SWT to Swing (let's call it
SWTSwing). I just considered Swing to be the "native windowing system"
of the virtual machine, and started coding.

I don't know if anyone did that before, but it is more for self-learning
anyway :)  If this is not yet done, then people could use my results
when it will be mature enough.
Anyway, I think Swing is a really good idea for a port so that SWT
applications could run without changing the code for the few
non-supported platforms. Eventually developers could use some Swing
specific code if they want (similar to OLE on Windows). Moreover, SWT
programs would work right away whenever a new platform with new VM is
out, while waiting for the real native port to be developed. There are
of course many other possibilities brought by such a port...

For now, I succeeded in the following:
- Branching to the swing event queue to process it on demand.
- Handling layouts and containement hierarchies.
- Basic handling of Control, Composite, Buttons, Menus, Graphic Context,
ProgressBar, Sash, Dialog.
- Cursors (even for the non-defined types)

This is at early stage, so don't expect too much... I am currently
working on tab folders and will probably go for tables and trees right
after that.

I created a Web site for SWTSwing 2 days ago:
http://chrriis.brainlex.com/swtswing

Could people let me know what they think about this port? I still thing
that both Swing and SWT are great, so I don't want to start a war, that
is not the purpose of this post! ;)

Best Regards,
-Christopher

Back to the top