Re: [platform-swt-dev] Eclipse on OS X 10.2 Developer Preview

Hi,

I recently saw Eclipse F1 running (using the term lightly) on OS X 10.2 developer preview, and the UI was completely smashed against the top of the window rendering it totally unusable. You can not even see the edit pane. I'm not sure if this is a bug in OS X 10.2 or not, but other apps seem NOT to be affected with similar issues, and the same executable does not show this behavior in OS X 10.1.5.

I found the (trivial) problem:

Since 1984 the Control Manager has the following problem: hit detection and drawing of child controls are performed in the same order (which is wrong). This is not a problem as long as child controls are not overlapping. However in Eclipse controls are overlapping, so sometimes you could not select a control that seems to be visible. As a workaround I've reversed the insertion order of controls that were added to a composite control.

In Jaguar Apple introduced the HIView. This is a good thing because after almost 20 years the Mac toolbox (aka Carbon) gets a real 'view system' with 'normal' hit detection and drawing semantics (and other good stuff). However for this Apple had to reverse the insertion order. As a consequence all layouts in Eclipse are backwards on Jaguar.

My next drop will have a fix for this.

--andre

Back to the top