Re: [platform-swt-dev] OS X version, now and future

Veronika> The non-java code must be recompiled on the correct
Veronika> platform.  Currently, the SWT team owns one of each of the
Veronika> required machines and does this compile.  Does your patch to
Veronika> the build process farm the compiling off to another machine?

To be honest, I hadn't even considered that possibility.

We want to make Eclipse RPMs so we can include them in some future OS
release.  One of our requirements for doing this is that we build the
whole application in the new OS's context.  So, for instance,
executables and libraries must be built against the libraries that
will appear in the new OS, not the current OS.  We can't check in
executables and shared libraries as is done in the eclipse tree; it
simply doesn't make sense for us.  (We might choose to rebuild in any
number of OS contexts at once, and all this is highly automated.)

My current patch just sets up the build to rebuild the platform
launcher.  I only handled the sole case I care about: building the Gtk
launcher on Linux.  Generalizing this is pretty easy, and I could do
the work, but I'd prefer not to if you know a priori that you won't
want it.

I didn't really consider choices other than changing build.xml to
build the native code.

Veronika> Currently the build is done entirely on a Linux machine.

Another choice would be to do the Linux-dependent and
platform-independent builds on Linux, and simultaneously do the other
builds on the appropriate machine.  The benefit to doing this is that
it lets anybody reproduce the entire build on their box, starting just
from the sources.  That facilitates making changes.  Also it means
that there's no longer a need to check in the libraries and
executables.

Tom

Back to the top