Re: [platform-swt-dev] Adding Motif for Mac OS X to CVS

Mike Wilson wrote:
It's a more subtle question than it might seem. There are several ways the scripts could go in.

There are only two changes:

1) Adding the "uname == darwin -> macosx platform" code to build.csh scripts. This is the same regardless of GUI, so will be needed for the Carbon port too.

2) Adding make_macosx.mak files. Since Mac OS X/Darwin supports both of Eclipse's primary GUIs (Motif and Gtk2), I don't see why these should not be included (I haven't done a Gtk2 version yet, but will later).

I don't mind being the Mac OS X/Darwin X11 maintainer, but that was not my intent. Like most Mac OS X users, I'm primarily interested in applications that use the Aqua GUI (although that is why Gtk2 will be interesting to some because it should be quite Aqua-like with the Aqua theme).

I can provide patches or whatever other additional files are needed for putting this into CVS. I made a point of bringing this up now so that it can get done along with the rest of the Mac OS X CVS activity. I saw Andre's post about going on vacation, so if that work is on hold until he gets back, then I understand that.

The problem of binaries certainly is going to become a big issue for Eclipse because as SWT applications proliferate, the application developers are going to want what application users expect, which is a simple and easy-to-use platform installer to "SWT-enable" their systems. I can envision a suitably cool WebStart solution, as well as platform-specific install applications, but that's is far beyond the scope of the current concern.

But specifically with regard to Mac OS X and the Eclipse IDE, once Mac OS X is added to the binary build for Carbon, the same machine/process could automatically do the Motif and Gtk2 builds too. Even though there are other avenues for Mac OS X binary distribution (notably fink), I would imagine that Eclipse.org would want to control their own destiny in that regard (especially because the end-user stuff for SWT comes into play, more so than just the IDE).

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

Finally, I'm not sure if the Darwin license is compatible with CPL...

The Darwin license is the "Apple Public Source License", which is OSI approved. Naturally I have no idea how it relates to CPL (APSL seems BSD-like to me, which isn't surprising). But as you say, that isn't particularly relevant since the build changes are strictly Eclipse CPL code.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/apsl.php

jim

Back to the top