Re: [platform-swt-dev] Adding Motif for Mac OS X to CVS

It's a more subtle question than it might seem. There are several ways the scripts could go in.

The least invasive way would be to not put them in CVS at all, but just hang them off of the SWT developer resources web page. This would give you some visibility, and would probably be fine if the scripts weren't changing frequently. In fact, we could put a link from there to your web site, if you wanted.

The other alternative would be to fit them into the current SWT motif implementation in CVS. One issue with this is that, we normally have the pre-compiled binaries stored in there as well, and since you don't have commit rights, you'd end up having to send them to us every time we changed the library. Unless of course, we got set up to build them here, which in turn has other issues (like, the only mac we have is my laptop (and Andre's, but it's on another continent. ;-) ) which I'm not going to donate to the build farm, and which other processors would we have to build it for, etc.). We would also have to go the PMC and get approval for a new official "port" because of the way the Eclipse project is structured.

Finally, I'm not sure if the Darwin license is compatible with CPL, but it would be a serious headache for us to have any other license but CPL on the scripts. This is likely fine, since they're probably derived from the existing motif ones.

McQ.

Jim White <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

06/10/2002 03:48 PM
Please respond to platform-swt-dev