[platform-swt-dev] How to launch a Carbon app without any wrappers?

Hi,

I'm looking for some hints/tips for how to launch a Carbon application (actually a JNI/Carbon app) that just has a main() and is not wrapped in any kind of MacOS X specific "bundle" but still has a UI, can be activated with the mouse and has an icon in the dock.

Or in other words I'm looking for the Carbon equivalent of the following Java/AWT program:

	import java.awt.Frame;
	public class Test {
			new Frame().show();
		}
	}

which I can launch just with:
	java Test

and it get a menubar, a UI that I can activate, and an entry in the Dock by some kind of magic.

Background: why do I need this?

As part of my endeavor to bring Eclipse to MacOS X I've ported SWT to MacOS X by using Carbon and JNI. Most of this works without any problems and I'm almost self-hosting with Eclipse (that is I can develop SWT for MacOS X from within Eclipse on MacOS X).
However to start a SWT based application like Eclipse I cannot just say:
	 java Eclipse

Instead I have to setup a fake folder hierarchy called Eclipse.app and move all the bits and pieces into place. This is not a problem for Eclipse itself because it is only done once, but it is a problem if I want to write a small SWT based program like the Test from above, but I don't want to package it into a Test.app first.

How should I initialize my Carbon application so that it behaves like a regular UI application?

Thanks for any tips, hints, or pointers
--andre

Back to the top