Re: [platform-swt-dev] New drop (0505) of SWT for MacOS X

Hi!
(still at WWDC),

Probably just another 'work in progress' issue, but I've noticed that
copy/cut works, but paste doesn't yet.

Yes, I haven't touched the clipboard implementation yet. Everything is just commented out.
But you can give it a try :-)

I cannot seem to change any of the fonts in the Preferences. I assume this has just not been implemented yet.

There is more Font support in build 0505, e.g. I'm honoring fonts, styles and sizes everywhere. However, enumerating fonts installed on the system isn't there yet, so the font dialog (copied over from Motif) doesn't show anything. As a consequence you can change them in the preference dialog. In addition Eclipse passes down Window specific font names since there is no Mac specific font.property file in JFace yet. To work around this problem I hardcoded the mapping between Windows font names to Mac names in MacFont.java. You can hack that to 'change your font preferences'. I hope to fix this soon and use the Cocoa based font dialog from within Carbon. But maybe this only works in Jaguar...

By the way, have you heard that a new feature is coming in 10.1.5 that will allow automatic font-smoothing for Carbon apps? This was my main reason for wanting the port to be Cocoa, so if we can get this for free with Carbon, that will be great.

I have 10.1.5 but I did not try anything related to font-smoothing.
However, there is already a flag in OS.c to switch from QuickDraw based font rendering to ATSUI based rendering (USE_ATSUI). Using it 0505 would slow down the drawing speed considerably.
I've improved this somewhat and it will be in the next drop.
Last time when I tried to use font-smoothing with Cocoa for the Cocoa version of SWT the problem was that measuring uses fractional chracter widths and positions. Since SWT's StyledText incrementally updates text using only integers, this would result in screen cheese and the caret was always considerably off its correct location.

--andre

Back to the top