Re: [platform-swt-dev] gtk port

>Thanks, I'm getting closer. I seem to have a couple of problems, but
>they are probably in the "I have no idea how to get the Java runtime
>on Linux working properly" category. BTW, do you have a "stupid user
>questions" mailing list? I hate to clutter up your SWT devel list.

No problem, but you might get faster answers for general Eclipse
questions if you post to the Eclipse Corner newsgroup, because there
are way more people reading that. The newsgroup address is:
But you need a password to access it, so go to:
        http://www.eclipsecorner.org/newsgroups/index.html
to request a password.

>Eclipse builds org.eclipse.swt OK, or says that it does (no errors,
>except for the j2se directory where Compatibility.java won't build).
>However, I'm not sure where it put the resulting class/jar files (I
>sort of get the impression they're supposed to be under
>workspace/org.eclipse.swt/bin, but there's nothing in there but a
>directory hierarchy and some html files.)

Hmmm - very strange. Compatibility.java has not changed in a month,
and you should have .class files in your bin directory (you are
correct about the location). I suspect strongly that the compile
did not actually happen.

>If I create a new project containing ListTest, or just use
>org.eclipse.swt.examples, then the separate project can't find SWT.
>There are some promising-looking pages in the project properties for
>fixing this (e.g. "Java Build Path"), but those pages don't contain
>any widgets. Should I be installing SWT somehow? (other than copying
>the .so file for the JNI stuff?)

You should not need to do anything at all except copy the .so file
to jre/bin. But if you have no .class files, then there is a more
basic problem somewhere.

By the way, you are correct that you need to select org.eclipse.swt
in the projects page of the Java Build Path in the project properties.
I am sorry I did not think to mention that earlier.

>When copying .classpath_motif to .classpath, I encountered the
>interesting issue that .classpath seems to be invisible in the
>Packages view - my hypothesis was that its presence in .cvsignore
>caused this, but changing .cvsignore doesn't seem to cause it to
>reappear. Anyway, I don't know if this would affect whether .classpath
>is used.

Aha! I think I have it figured out. If you can't see the .classpath
file in the Packages view, then I suspect you may have copied
.classpath_motif to .classpath using the file system (we always
copy it from inside Eclipse). If this is true, then Eclipse does not
know about the change yet. You need to select the swt project, pop up
the context menu, and select "Refresh from Local". You may need to do
a "Project->Rebuild All" after this.

Let me know if this helps, and feel free to keep asking for Eclipse
help on this email list until we get you up and running!  :)

Carolyn

Back to the top