Re: [platform-swt-dev] Mac OS X Port

(meta-note: I've been ill for the last few days and am catching up on the mailing list.)

We're not big fans of building in extra layers just to increase some abstract notion of portability. If there is an efficient, stable, java binding to the platform widgets already, I'd say that's probably the way to go. The only argument for having your own internal abstraction would be because that allowed you to have faster access to the real native widgets. I haven't seen the cocoa binding yet, and I don't know much about it. I do know that sometimes these kinds of packages are more general purpose than they need to be, and that this *sometimes* leads to them being less efficient.

McQ.

"David Whiteman/RAL/OTI" <David_Whiteman@xxxxxxx>

11/12/2001 01:05 PM