Re: [platform-swt-dev] Mac OS X Port

Suhail Ahmed wrote:

As I wrote earlier, I don't think  the aqua port should fork the design.

Agree completely! That makes two.

For Carbon, I must say porting would be relatively transparent as the port would maintain the unity of the original OTI implementation and design. The essential design patters and implementation patterns would be the same and OTI would be most comfortable with the end result as I would not be "that" different from the other platforms. In this scenario, the drivers of the port would be carbonites and OTI.

As someone already mentioned (probably you), the Carbon API is quite similar to the Windows C API. This would mean that we could stick to the orignal SWT design. It would certainly help in Eclipse PMC approval.

<-- begin my two eurocents-->
From an emotional perspective I am most enthusiastic about Carbon mainly because I know my C and JNI. But there is that curious george bit in me who wants to know X for what it really is, NeXTSTEP. Then there is the philosophical issues, I love objects, and even though objectivec seem weird at first sight (my sincere apologies to smalltalkers), there is something pleasing about objects all the way through.
<--end my two eurocents-->

<-- add two eurocents to the bucket -->
My emotional perspective tells me to go the OO way. OO design & development is what I do for a living and am most familiar with. I go as far in XP as possible: daily pair programming, test first approach, refactoring, ...
<-- stop adding eurocents -->

In the end it need not matter that much (who know, with enough people, we could do a CarbonSWT and a CocoaSWT). I just hope that we get a port done before summer next month.

Then I would prefer the CarbonSWT as the first implementation: closest to the original design, and more people that will know how to program C and JNI. I suspect that this is the quickest path to get something working.

And then I shall try and convince IBM to release Websphere workbenches on X and then I can finally and completely leave my Windows behind me.

Yes! I'll support you in that!

Some practical matters, what build environment are we going to use? ProjectBuilder, GNUMake?

I ditched Linux in favor of Mac OS X just to get rid of all the difficult command line tools (my opinion). Writing software is already difficult enough. Getting to know how GNUMake etc works would be overkill to me. Also, we are writing an OS X port and ProjectBuilder is with every copy of the OS, so...

Ringo

Back to the top