Re: [platform-swt-dev] Mac OS X Port

Hello all,

On maandag, november 12, 2001, at 05:33 , Suhail Ahmed wrote:

My mistake. Allow me to call it JCocoa if you will. I agree with you about bypassing the JNI layer. Given that the question decomposes to where to encapsulate JCocoa calls. Should we do it in the widgets packages or in the internal packages by creating an aqua package.

Although I am a favorite of writing Java, I don't agree to use the Java binding to Cocoa for the SWT port to MAC OS X. I have several reasons for that:

- The SWT is designed to be tightly coupled to the platform widgets using native calls. Read the SWT documentation:
http://www.eclipsecorner.org/articles/Article-SWT-Design-1/SWT-
Design-1.html
I prefer to stick to the guideline.

- If we use the the Java Cocoa binding, we have the following structure:
SWT object -> Java Cocoa object -> Cocoa widget
This is one level to many, that adds complexity and memory usage.

- I'm not sure on this one, but does the Java Cocoa binding expose all the native Cocoa functionality?

- I think I once read that Objective-C offers possibilities in event handling that Java can't handle, and that as such is also not available in the Java binding.

- We inherit the bugs in the Java Cocoa binding.

My proposal is to use a JNI or JDirect Cocoa binding. The Eclipse PMC will more easily agree on an additional port than if we propose to do it the JCocoa way.

Ringo

Back to the top