Re: [platform-swt-dev] Re: Mac OS X Port by Carolyn MacLeod

Hi,

it´s great to see you support us!
If you create a mac os x port mailing list could you automatically subscribe me, please?

1) How can we increase the probability to get PMC approval?
2) I suppose it will be hard to find someone who is an experienced programmer to Cocoa, since it´s a rather new API
3) still working through the documents...

Regarding to the things to keep in mind:

- licensing issues: I´m not sure about this. Is Java-Cocoa published under APSL or can you use it as you like?

- size of jar file: the size of the directories in my system are (there are no jar files):
    i. application: 708 KB
    ii. foundation: 424 KB
  That´s not too much I suppose.

- discard unused API: since cocoa is part of the system it´s not possible to discard anything.

- direct mapping to the OS: don´t know how direct the mapping is.

- OS versions supported: Mac OS X v. 10.1 and higher for sure, maybe v. 10.0 too

Regarding the articles to mentioned:
- one-to-one mapping:
As is stated in the document: "Java is a powerful high level language [...]. Why use C?" Everything said about the benefits of one-to-one mapping applies to Java-Cocoa as well as any platform using C-natives. The Java-Cocoa wrapper leverages us from using JNI. We can use the Java-Cocoa in the implementation of the public API of the SWT classes.

- thin layer between the application and the OS:
"efficient" - I can`t think of a thinner layer on top of the OS than Java-Cocoa "portable" - In Java-Cocoa there´s nothing interesting in the C-natives since they don´t exist. The classes supplied by the Cocoa-framework show the way directly into the heart of the OS.

As for performance issues:
I´d suggest to write a test suite for Java-Cocoa and the same for ObjectiveC-Cocoa and finally compare the results. This seems the only way to get some reliable performance comparison. This hopefully helps to find the path to go for the port.
What elements should such a test suite consist of? Any suggestions?
How can one measure the performance of ui-elements?

martin

Back to the top