Re: [platform-releng-dev] eclipse performance framework

First I wanted to apologize for not responding to Tobias's original post:
https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-releng-dev/msg23342.html

And thank Marc-Andre from Trace Compass for jumping in with an example:
https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-releng-dev/msg23345.html

And, glad to see Tobias answered his own question on Stack Overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31871354/eclipse-peformance-measurement-framework-derby-database-doesnt-work
(Do you still get points for that? :)

But, still wanted to reply to say the original posting was valid in the sense our document is way out of date.
But, the original posting was also a little too general, which is hard for me to respond to. I unfortunately don't have time to write a tutorial at the
moment, but it doesn't hurt to ask -- by the time you are through, maybe you can!

I would encourage you to open bugs, though, on specific issues you find (such as the misnamed derby plugin) and
even if you "get stuck" a bug would be ok if you can give a specific series of steps, and how "expected results" didn't match "actual results",
what you are trying to accomplish, what remedies you've tried already, what code you've looked at, etc. ... then there is at least a greater chance I could help a little.

My only general advice is to not try and use the "performance UI" plugin to display the results ... I think that is
highly specific to the "platform's" way of using it (long ago), and even we can't now get it to work the way we want, due to all the old assumptions
built in to it. The cases I've heard of people successfully using the framework use it to collect the data, and then have their
own programs to gather and display the results and statistics they are interested in.

Hope this tiny bit of belated advice helps a little.

Back to the top