Re: [platform-releng-dev] [jdt-dev] Performance tests failing with Tycho: "We should have found org.eclipse.jdt.core project in workspace!!!"

On 11/13/2013 06:00 PM, Stephan Herrmann wrote:
Disclaimer: I've never actively worked on the performance tests, but let me hazard some guesses:

     1. Are this tests executed by current builder? If not, I can
     simply make them become an "eclipse-plugin" instead of
     "eclipse-test-plugin".
I don't thinks so. I think last time they ran was back on IBM infrastructure, right?
May need to ask Kim for details...
If it is so, then let's start by skipping those tests (turning them to eclipse-plugin). Is there a place where I can see the full JUnit reports (not only the test report showing failure, but the one showing all test executions) ?
If we notice that those tests aren't run with current builder, then let's just disable them so we can have all tests for JDT Core running with Tycho Surefire.

     2. Is this really mandatory to have a project there? Wouldn't the
     jar'd plugin be enough?
I believe it's mandatory: these tests need actual workspace projects
as their test data.
     3. Where is this project expected to come from? IMO, the test
     should be responsible of setting up its resources (ideally in a
     JUnit @Before or @BeforeClass, or in the script running it) but it
     appears it's not what is happening here.
I assume, back in the old days, it just was easiest to use the sources we
were building anyway also as test data. (and @Before didn't even exist :)
Ok.

Note, that for some tests the test data have already been stored in VCS,
which was separated out into
   http://git.eclipse.org/c/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.binaries.git/tree/org.eclipse.jdt.core.tests.binaries
If tests are decoupled from the main plugin projects, then of course
a new strategy has to be found.
I'll have a look at the zip files in this repo. It's probably those ones that are used by performance test. In such case, then we'll probably need to rework performance test to set up the workspace from these zips.

Thanks.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat