Re: [platform-releng-dev] CBI based 4.3.0 I-Build: I20130214-2011 <== Finally!

For record, I think this will cause problems if not used in conjunction with a mechanism that generate increasing version numbers for the bundles.

The reason why we initially came up with the algorithm that generated long qualifiers for feature is because we wanted to be resilient to additions, removals, version changes, etc. For example, what happens if the bundle with the highest version is now removed from the feature, or what if one of the dependency that gets pulled in from a repo has changed, etc…

One case that I’m really worried about is one where one of the bundles gets the version that is the same than the one with the highest version. To be concrete

Feature F has

Bundle A v2013

Bundle B v2012

In this case Feature F version is v2013.

Now Bundle B needs to be rebuilt and gets the version v2013, the feature version will still be v2013 and the expected change will not be delivered.

This may sound theoretical but in the reality will happen when we iterate very quickly over RC builds.