[platform-releng-dev] How to answer the question of uncompressed jars

How hard would it be to build a version of Eclipse with completely uncompressed jars (both jarred plug-ins and jars inside classic plug-ins) and then run the performance tests on that version? Having uncompressed jars was discussed before but I never saw a resolution of the issue, and I notice that all the jars in Eclipse as of 3.1M6 are compressed. Now a related issue of reducing download size has been raised on eclipse-dev.

The size theory is that if all the jars are uncompressed, then when they are compressed into a download package (.zip or .tar.gz or .pack.gz or .exe or whatever) the package will be smaller because it won't be trying to compress already compressed data. The performance theory is that if all the jars are uncompressed then less CPU time will be used at run time reading from them which might counterbalance any increased I/O. Sun's rt.jar is uncompressed, perhaps because of performance. But nobody knows for sure.

Both these theories can be proved or disproved by an uncompressed build and performance test. If a special build & test is problematic then maybe a switch could be thrown and the nightlies and/or integration builds could be built this way for a few days? It would be good to resolve this one way or the other.

Back to the top