Re: [platform-help-dev] <toc label=".."> with <anchor> and <link_to>

I have posted a response to the news group few hours ago.  Please continue
the discussion there, until it is clear that new feature is required to
accomplish what you need.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

             "David Cramer
             (Tech Pubs)"
             <dcramer@motive.c                                          To
             om>                       <platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             platform-help-dev
             -admin@xxxxxxxxxx                                     Subject
             g                         [platform-help-dev] <toc
                                       label=".."> with <anchor> and
                                       <link_to>
             10/15/2003 12:54
             PM

             Please respond to
             platform-help-dev

I posted the following on eclipse.platform. Since I didn't get a response
there, I'm guessing that it's not possible to do what I describe. In that
case, it should probably be a feature request. The issue is that if I
create content that works well in a bottom-up context, I end up with a toc
that looks funny (has an unneeded toc level) in a top down context. The
scenario here is with API docs that are generated at build time. While I
could adjust the tocs manually or with a script, it would be better to have
it work in both situations. I'm not sure what the solution is--perhaps a
switch on <toc label="The foo component api documentation"
link_to="/testwrapper/toc.xml#anchor_id"> to let the toc with the <anchor>
to use <toc>'s label as a containing folder?

Thanks,
David

If I have two plugins and do the following (see toc.xmls and plugin.xmls
below), I'll end up with:

Test wrapper
    Intefaces
    File List
        foo.h
        foo.idl
    Intefaces
    File List
        bar.h
        bar.idl

Instead, I want to have the following:

Test wrapper
    The foo component api documentation
        Intefaces
        File List
            foo.h
            foo.idl
    The bar component api documentation
        Intefaces
        File List
            bar.h
            bar.idl

I would prefer NOT to put a extra topic element in the tocs like so: <toc
label="The foo component api documentation"
link_to="/testwrapper/toc.xml#anchor_id"><topic label="The foo component
api documentation"><topic href="index.html" label="Interfaces"/>...
because I may also want to use this plugins in contexts where I make the
toc top down, and it would create an unneeded toc level.

Is that possible?
Thanks,
David

toc.xml for wrapper:
======================================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<toc label="Test wrapper">
  <anchor id="anchor_id"/>
</toc>

toc.xml for item in wrapper:
======================================
<toc label="The foo component api documentation"
link_to="/testwrapper/toc.xml#anchor_id">
  <topic href="index.html" label="Interfaces"/>
  <topic href="files.html" label="File List">
      <topic href="foo.h.html" label="foo.h"/>
      <topic href="foo.idl.html" label="foo.idl"/>
   </topic>
<!-- lots of other topics here -->
</toc>

toc.xml for another item in wrapper:
<toc label="The bar component api documentation"
link_to="/testwrapper/toc.xml#anchor_id">
  <topic href="index.html" label="Interfaces"/>
  <topic href="files.html" label="File List">
      <topic href="bar.h.html" label="bar.h"/>
      <topic href="bar.idl.html" label="bar.idl"/>
   </topic>
<!-- lots of other topics here -->
</toc>