[platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search Behaviour

Good afternoon,

During the course of testing our NLV doc plugins, I encountered some
unexpected behaviour with the Help search mechanism:  It transpires that
any search term hits contained within the topic that opens when the user
selects an entry from the Contents pane (<toc label="TOC_Name" topic
="topic1.htm">) are not included in search results (even in US English).

For example, if my initial topic contains the term "Linux" and I perform a
search on "Linux", the initial topic is excluded from my search results.

I think it is fair to say that this topic generally gives a high level
product overview, or provides some kind of information roadmap through the
information (and is therefore important).  For it not to be included in
search results is surprising.  I think it would be extremely useful for
this topic to be included in search results.  Would you like me to raise a
bug?

Whilst on the subject of the "topic" attribute of the "toc" element, was
there a reason to call the attribute "topic" rather than "href" which is
used throughout the rest of the navigation XML?  It would make more sense
to be consistent and use "href" (unless there's a good reason for sticking
with "topic"!).

Apart from that, I found the implementation of globalizing doc plugins a
completely pain free process!  : - )  Very neat.

Best wishes,

Steve

Stephen Woolley - User Assistance Architect
WebSphere MQ Integrator User Technologies
Mail Point 095, IBM United Kingdom Laboratories, Hursley Park,
Winchester, Hampshire, SO21 2JN, United Kingdom
Steve Woolley/UK/IBM@IBMGB             swoolley@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel/Fax:  +44 (0)1962 818428                      Internal:  248428
Home Office:  (01962) 774812  /  +44 1962 774812

Back to the top