Re: [platform-help-dev] Create new mozilla window

Konrad> Thank you Tom.  The bug you encounter is a problem, but I
Konrad> think the priorities when displaying help in a browser are:

Thanks for your response.

Konrad> 2.  Reuse the browser for reloading of help, for example when
Konrad> user clicks on search results in the workbench, or selects one
Konrad> of the related links in the F1 popup.  This prevents user from
Konrad> needing to close multiple browser windows that all display
Konrad> help.

Konrad> 3.  Have a browser window dedicated to help.

Konrad> Currently we do not have the code in place to ensure 3. when
Konrad> using Mozilla and you encountered this.  However your fix
Konrad> breaks 2. and I would rather not have new window pop up for
Konrad> users every time.

Konrad> If you think 2. is not important

I do think that is important.  However, the current behavior surprised
several of us here.  On Linux it is more common for a tool to open a
new browser window than to reuse an existing one.  In this case I
think we'd prefer to conform to what the rest of the desktop does.

BTW, we're using 2.0.1 right now (since that is what the CDT works
with).  For the time being we're going to use the patch I sent in the
version of Eclipse that we ship.  When we move to 2.1 we'll look at
this again; maybe we'll just change the default to invoke `mozilla' as
you suggested.

Tom

Back to the top