Re: [platform-help-dev] Installing a Standalone Help

Jack,

The ClassNotFoundError is caused by the the same problem you mentioned
earlier about the infocenter support. Follow's Kari's workaround or wait
for a newer driver or wait for the F2 driver.

The difference between those two methods is that in 1) you are specifying
the topic to display, whereas in 2) you just have a context id, that is
mapped to a number of related topics in context.xml.

The Help class has a main program (this is what gets launched when you
test), and that's really a sample program. The code is open source, so you
can look at the file. Here is a link to it, straight out of the CVS
repository.
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.help/src/org/eclipse/help/standalone/Help.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

-Dorian

                    Jack
                    Downing/Westford/IBM@Lotu       To:     platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    s                               cc:     John Hunt/Cambridge/IBM@Lotus, Pamela Johnson/Westford/IBM@Lotus
                    Sent by:                        Subject:     [platform-help-dev] Installing a Standalone Help
                    platform-help-dev-admin@e
                    clipse.org

                    05/30/2002 12:19 PM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-help-dev

Hello,

I have tried unsuccessfully to install a standalone help system. Please
forgive me as I am not a programmer; I am a writer and my knowledge of Java
is limited.

I am following the instructions in "How to Install a Standalone Help
System" found at the this URL:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-help-home/standalone.html

Here are my questions:

The instructions reference the class: org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help  I
can't find this class in the platform binary runtime. Is this class no
longer used? Also, the instructions reference classes that apparently have
been renamed. Many have "_2.0.0" appended to them.

I tried to test the standalone help using the following command (from the
instructions):

        java -classpath d:\myApp\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.help\help.jar
        org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help d:\myApp\eclipse\plugins

I get the error: "Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" -- I'm assuming this is because
org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help is not available?

When invoking context-sensitive help from a standalone help system, what is
the difference between these two methods. They both seem to be a way to
display a help topic (html file).

Method #1

helpSystem.displayHelp("/com.mycompany.mytool.doc/toc.xml");
helpSystem.displayHelp("/com.mycompany.mytool.doc/tasks/task1.htm");

Method # 2

helpSystem.displayContext(contextId, x, y)

Finally, do you have a sample java program that is used to invoke help?
I'd like to see how the helpSystem method is used in the program, study it,
then give it to my developers who will be hooking up help to our
application.

Thanks!

Jack Downing
jack_downing@xxxxxxxxxx