Re: [platform-help-dev] Changed behavior of <topic> elements without hrefs

Kari,

This was a conscious design decison based on usability feedback and it was
implemented quite early in the 2.0 release.
One enhancement we wanted to do (and still want to do) was to display a
page with links to child topics instead of a blank page. Feel free to open
a bug/enahcement for this.

-Dorian

                    Kari
                    Halsted/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA       To:     platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                        cc:
                    platform-help-dev-admin@e       Subject:     [platform-help-dev] Changed behavior of <topic> elements without hrefs
                    clipse.org

                    05/07/2002 09:50 AM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-help-dev

Somewhat recently (although I'm not sure when) the behavior of "empty"
nodes on the nav tree changed. In the past, when you clicked on a <topic>
element that has a label but no href, the node would expand (if it had
children), and nothing would happen in the content frame; if you had
previously been viewing a topic, it would not go away. Now, when you click
on <topic> with no href, the content frame clears. We have been designing
our navigation trees based on the previous functionality, which was working
well for us.

Was this a conscious design decision, or an accidental change of function?
If it was the previous, what was the reasoning? If the latter, let me know
and I'll open a defect.

Thanks.

Kari Halsted
User Assistance PDT
IBM Canada - Toronto Software Lab
(905) 413-3331 / tl 969-3331 / D3-238

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  To keep our faces toward
change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength
undefeatable.
-- Helen Keller