Re: [platform-help-dev] Navigation view - would like to have user-defined filtering

Agreed.

We may need to reconsider adding  a Search action on a topic's context
menu, that would search the topic subtree rooted at that topic.

-dorian

                    Greg_Adams@xxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                        To:     platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    platform-help-dev-admin@e       cc:
                    clipse.org                      Subject:     Re: [platform-help-dev] Navigation view - would like to have user-defined
                                                     filtering

                    03/16/2002 12:04 PM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-help-dev

There are cases where a beginner user could get value out of this, not just
an advanced user. For example when using a product I wanted to search for a
given word within the getting started and didn't want all of other hits.
Similarly there were cases where I was looking for sample walkthroughs that
mentioned some other word.

I would however rate this as a p3 (future) item.

/Greg

   birsan@xxxxxxxxxx
   Sent by:                       To:
   platform-help-dev-admi platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   n@xxxxxxxxxxx                  cc:
                                  Subject:        Re: [platform-help-dev]
                          Navigation view - would like to have
   03/15/2002 07:35 PM    user-defined filtering
   Please respond to
   platform-help-dev

A couple of questions:

  Should search return hits from the current view only or from the entire
  documentation?
  Filtering large amounts of information (like documentation) is a very
  good idea, but I think that filtering of arbitrary subtrees is a bit
  dangerous, as it would imply too much knowledge of what's inside. I
  would think that a top level filtering would suffice. Should the
  filtering set be the same as for search? (that's related to the first
  question)

BTW,  please open a feature in bugzilla so we can track it.
-dorian

                   Leigh

                   Davidson/Toronto/IBM@IBMC       To:
platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

                   A                               cc:

                   Sent by:                        Subject:
[platform-help-dev] Navigation view - would like to have user-defined
                   platform-help-dev-admin@e        filtering

                   clipse.org

                   03/15/2002 02:16 PM

                   Please respond to

                   platform-help-dev

Suggestion for future release: In the navigation tree, allow me to select
nodes for filtering. This would allow advanced users, for example, to block
out beginner topics that they're not interested in any more, so they no
longer have to scroll down the nav to the chunks that they use 80% of the
time. Or, in a product that ships interfaces for 10 kinds of back-end
system, I could select to view only the ones that I'm interested in - save
some real estate.

My first idea for this was to right-click on the node and have a
checked/unchecked menu item like "Hide from Navigation/Show in Navigation."
(Another idea is an "Add to Favorites" option.) But I realize there is a
model for other views in the workbench - incl Navigator and Tasks - to
provide filtering my means of the "Menu" toolbar button (the inverted
triangle), which has Filter as a selection on its drop-down menu, which in
turn opens a dialog box where the user selects and clears check boxes. So
maybe the Help view should be consistent with the behavior of these other
views.

If you could provide something like this, I think there should be a clear
visual indication that I am currently viewing a subset of the information.
Not sure how you would do that. Maybe tabs - View All, View Favorites.

I think the Synchronize button in a help document should synchronize to the
"All" view?

Leigh Davidson
Editor, IBM Canada Lab