Re: [platform-help-dev] New Help Navigation Syntax

We will soon be posting a first draft of a migration document, that will
hopefully grow based on the questions (like these ones) posted on this
forum.

>I am curious about the fact that infoviews have gone away. How will
> different views of the info work now?

I think the use of infoviews wasn't quite thought out well, and we need to
re-evaluate those decisions.
The current 2.0 navigation really deals with the data part, i.e. how to
build tables of contents, without much concern of how to render it. Next,
we will certainly need to consider how to render that information, and it
will help to gather as requirements and suggestions to find the right
balance between complexity and usefulness. For now, you may need to map the
views as first level entries (topics) in a table of contents. This leads
into the next question:

> And if infosets are gone, will there be any way of titling a doc web?

You can think of a primary table of contents as your infoset and I think
that's a fairly reasonable mapping between 1.0 and 2.0 navigation concepts.

> Is the plan to translate the XML directly instead of sepearating strings?

Yes, that's correct. The .properties file contain lots of duplicate info
and add another layer of complexity into the picture. If we view toc.xml
files as help resources, just like the actual help content, but with a
different role, then they should be translated just like the html files. We
had a simple tool to move strings from .properties files back into xml and
we can make it available, and improve it.

For the next few drivers we plan to support both 1.0 and 2.0 navigation
formats, but the support will soon be removed, to allow us move further, on
a simpler code base.

Jeanette, thanks for all your questions, and please continue firing up all
your concerns, to help drive the evolution of the help component.

-Dorian

                    Jeanette
                    Deupree/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS       To:     platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                        cc:
                    platform-help-dev-admin@e       Subject:     [platform-help-dev] New Help Navigation Syntax
                    clipse.org

                    11/18/2001 11:12 PM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-help-dev

I took a look at the Eclipse Help 2.0 Navigation changes. It looks good.
A couple of things I was definitely looking for are in there (e.g. being
able to easily contribute a topic multiple times).

I am curious about the fact that infoviews have gone away. How will
different views of the info work now? And if infosets are gone, will
there be any way of titling a doc web? I am also a little confused about
the statement that properties files, both doc.properties and
contexts.properties, go away. What are they replaced by? Is the plan to
translate the XML directly instead of sepearating strings? Overall that
seems like a good idea. This could have an impact on IBM products that
have already started to translate separated strings. It could also have
an impact on the way we package the translations.