Re: [platform-doc-dev] organization of platform doc plug-ins

Separate from making our doc modular for other apps to reuse (particularly
the user doc), I think there's value in drawing a distinction in the ISV
doc between generic workbench (RCP) functionality and IDE-specific
functionality.  I don't think this requires refactoring into separate
plugins though, and shouldn't require too much reorganization.  In
particular, the IDE-specific API and extension points in the Workbench is
not a big fraction of the whole.  And the other components are easily
categorized as RCP vs. IDE.

Nick

Jim des Rivieres/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-doc-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/26/2004 11:20 AM
Please respond to
platform-doc-dev

platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Jeff McAffer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, Kevin Haaland/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, Nick
Edgar/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Subject
Re: [platform-doc-dev] organization of platform doc plug-ins

Susan,   To be in a truely useful form, the platform doc needs to be more
modular that it is now so that its content can be better used and
augmented by client products. This is something that was discussed for
3.0, but ultimately deferred because of the considerable effort involved.
So I wouldn't worry about splitting the platform doc into separate RCP and

IDE plug-ins at this time.
---jim

Susan M Franklin <susan_franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-doc-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/23/2004 06:48 PM
Please respond to
platform-doc-dev

platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Jeff McAffer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, Kevin Haaland/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, Jim des
Rivieres/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Subject
[platform-doc-dev] organization of platform doc plug-ins

In light of the "rich client" reorg of plug-ins, do you think we should
have two separate doc plug-ins for the platform isv doc?
Something like

org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv - contains overview of architecture, runtime,

jface, swt, workbench, basic workbench extensions, help
org.eclipse.ide.doc.isv - contains sections from old doc:  resources,
search, compare, team, debug, ant, etc.  The porting guide would probably
live here too.
(I may have some of the particular divisions wrong as I'm just looking at
this.)

Is there a plan to do the same kind of thing for the user doc?
Looking for comments or pointers to any open bugs addressing this topic.
Thanks.

susan