[platform-doc-dev] Re: Conventions for keys in doc

1) Please use Alt, Ctrl, Shift ... that is how they appear on the keyboard.
I think the current doc has a mix of those and all caps.
2) Nick is correct, please use Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Up Arrow, and Down
Arrow
3) While we're on the topic, Page Up and Page Down

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Jeanette

Jeanette Deupree
WebSphere Information  Strategy
RTP NC
919-254-1149 (tieline 444-1149)
deupree@xxxxxxxxxx

             Nick
             Edgar/Ottawa/IB
             M@IBMCA                                                    To
                                        Tod Creasey/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
             03/20/2003                                                 cc
             11:12 AM                   Jeanette
                                        Deupree/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, Jim des
                                        Rivieres/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
                                                                       bcc

                                                                   Subject
                                        Re: Conventions for keys in doc
                                        (Document link: Jeanette Deupree)

I think we should move this to the doc mailing list so others can benefit
and contribute.

1) In the Windows User Experience book, they use small capital letters,
e.g.  SHIFT, CTRL, ALT. Unless we can do this consistently, which probably
requires a pass over all the doc, then I'd prefer to just use
non-capitalized regular text to avoid the screaming effect.
2) I think we should use "Up Arrow", "Left Arrow", etc.  unless it's
specifically referring to the accelerator indicated in the UI, where they
are reversed (for goofy implementation reasons).

Nick

|         |           Tod Creasey      |
|         |           03/20/2003 10:48 |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       Jeanette Deupree/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS                                                                                               |
  |       cc:       Jim des Rivieres/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, Nick Edgar/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA                                                                   |
  |       From:     Tod Creasey/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA                                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  Conventions for keys in doc                                                                                                      |

Jeanette

A couple of questions:

1) Should modified keys be all caps - i.e. Alt or ALT? The windows doc uses
all caps
2) How do we refer to arrow keys? Left Arrow or Arrow Left?

Tod

Back to the top