Re: [platform-doc-dev] Eclipse documentation styles

Hi Susan,

I'm working on documentation for a port of Eclipse and a CDT to Linux.
Being outside of the core documentation development process, I don't
know about any progress on the post-mortem items. However, I can pass
along some observations gained from the experience of porting the
core documentation to Linux.

> We will improve the way we do documentation.

In looking over the core documentation I have come across typos and
HTML coding problems. If there is a place to send edits/review
comments, I'd be happy to do so.

> We will define a style guide

Excellent idea.

In my porting of the core documentation to Linux, I've chosen to extend
the use of style sheets. It turns out that a sizable number of Linux
users use Netscape Navigator 4.x. As a result, I've had to create two
CSS files:
 -one that holds styles that all browsers (even Nav 4) render well
 -one that modern browsers can render, but Nav 4 cannot
The latter styles I put into a file called notnav4.css, and I've had
to add this to all of my source files:
 @import url(../notnav4.css);
If you have the same problem, you might want to try that solution too.

> and agree on tools.

You might find that HomeSite5 and UltraEdit are very useful tools for
raw HTML.

> We will invest in tools that make the checking less painful.

HomeSite has a link checker, an "HTML Tidy" function, an HTML
validator, and a spelling checker. If you use a style guide that
calls for marking up text that appears on the Eclipse GUI with
something like <span class="guilabel">Project name</span>, HomeSite
has a "snippets" function that inserts the markup you define (the
very useful. However, you should be aware that HomeSite is something
of a resource hog.

UltraEdit also has a spell checker and HTML Tidy, but I mainly use
it for global search & replace across a set of directories.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/
http://www.ultraedit.com/