Re: [platform-dev] Vote to stop bug auto-closing in all Eclipse platform projects

On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 9:23 AM Andrey Loskutov <loskutov@xxxxxx> wrote:
May be I'm living in some parallel universe, but in my world Eclipse Platform is utterly under-resourced, and this is since years, and that's the main reson bugs aren't processed as it should be and therefore closed without any activity.

Everyone's experience varies depending on what they see in other projects they work on.

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 17. Februar 2022 um 21:12 Uhr
Von: "Mickael Istria" <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
An: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [platform-dev] Vote to stop bug auto-closing in all Eclipse platform projects
> We all know that the root cause of this discussion is the 10+ years of
under-resourcing for Eclipse platform.

Eclipse Platform is not under-resourced. It's OK-resourced, and just like any project would benefit from more resources, but let's move the resources discussion away and focus on the community aspects of auto-closing bugs.

> Do we expect big players to come back and sponsor teams of developers again as it was in 00ths? I doubt so. Perhaps, small companies and individuals from the community are the only hope.

I don't get how it's related to the discussion about auto-closing bugs or not. And I also don't get how Alex's answer triggered that question.

And if yes, how auto-close could help to recruit new resources for
triaging (not even dreaming about bug fixing) from the community?

Auto-closing is more likely to stimulate people in trying to contribute than just keeping the bug silent. At least, people can decide to reopen with more details, or to add other information (not useful anymore, was fixed), and that's a form of contribution already. Sometimes they reopen with frustration and this can trigger a new conversation with some committers to help them in contributing more.
On the other hand, keeping the bugs open but silent brings no interaction and thus no new opportunity to recruit. It just make the project seem dead.