Re: [platform-dev] Vote to stop bug auto-closing in all Eclipse platform projects

Thank you, Christoph!

It was surprising to learn that Platform is not under-resourced. For example, looking into the E4 story, that is abandoned for years. Or, more closely to our topic, during our discussion regarding "should we close bugs automatically or just leave them open forever, because there is no ability to reasonably process them".
Does this look like a project that is OK-resourced?

In the past we had one major and two service releases per year, that was a kind of guarantee that the most wanted bugs will be fixed each year. Now we have four releases per year, but in practice none of them are dedicated to fix bugs.

I fully agree with Christoph that 20XX-12 release should be fully dedicated to bugfix activities. And this will align well with the practice of last decades where we had service releases after the big release in summer.

Regards,
AF

2/18/2022 9:13 AM, Christoph Läubrich пишет:
> Auto-closing is more likely to stimulate people in
> trying to contribute [...] Sometimes they reopen
> with frustration and this can trigger a new conversation with some
> committers to help them in contributing more.

I'm not sure if you suggest here to

a) frustrate users more 'stimulate' them
  -or-
b) user should rant more to get more attention and 'stimulate' contributors

;-)

> It just make the
> project seem dead.

Auto-closing also make the project seem dead as it clearly indicates that there is no resources or people just don't care to handle valid reports.

I'd better have a growing number of issues showing that we need more resources than a constant number of issues that gives the false impression there is no problem.

In the end, its just a matter of what we want to deliver 'more' or 'better' software. As mentioned before, it might be good to have one of the releases per year that is dedicated to bug fixing (and maybe bug triage) where we simply do not accept new features. For example the 20xx-12 release as its is a bit shorter and we can have a fresh start for the new year.

Am 17.02.22 um 21:12 schrieb Mickael Istria:
 > We all know that the root cause of this discussion is the 10+ years of
under-resourcing for Eclipse platform.

Eclipse Platform is not under-resourced. It's OK-resourced, and just like any project would benefit from more resources, but let's move the resources discussion away and focus on the community aspects of auto-closing bugs.

 > Do we expect big players to come back and sponsor teams of developers again as it was in 00ths? I doubt so. Perhaps, small companies and individuals from the community are the only hope.

I don't get how it's related to the discussion about auto-closing bugs or not. And I also don't get how Alex's answer triggered that question.

    And if yes, how auto-close could help to recruit new resources for
    triaging (not even dreaming about bug fixing) from the community?

Auto-closing is more likely to stimulate people in trying to contribute than just keeping the bug silent. At least, people can decide to reopen with more details, or to add other information (not useful anymore, was fixed), and that's a form of contribution already. Sometimes they reopen with frustration and this can trigger a new conversation with some committers to help them in contributing more. On the other hand, keeping the bugs open but silent brings no interaction and thus no new opportunity to recruit. It just make the project seem dead.