Re: [platform-dev] MacOS .dmg vs .tar.gz

> On 13 Nov 2020, at 13:09, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> We can optimise this if we rename the macOS downloads from .tar.gz to .tgz. Atom and VSCode are distributed as .tgz files, with the result that Safari auto-extracts them.

I cannot confirm this.

Both VSCode & Atom are distributed as .zip files (VSCode-darwin-stable.zip, atom-mac.zip).

Safari does not always auto-extract archives, you need to enable "Open 'safe' files after downloading", which I don't, exactly because I want to control what happens with my downloads.

Regards,

Liviu

Back to the top