[platform-dev] SubMonitor and "composite" parallel jobs

Hi all,

I'm trying to work on a more regular progress reporting for the Smart Importer. It's actually a kind of composite jobs, that schedule children jobs in the JobGroup and join on them. A huge part of the work is then done by multiple jobs.
I tried to use the SubMonitor but the design of SubMonitor and its "split" operation doesn't seem to be suitable for parallel computation. Basically, whenever gets a new monitor by splitting the parent SubMonitor, it marks the work of previous split progress monitor as done. So if I run in parallel multiple jobs under the same SubMonitor and want to use split() then the progress bar show that all jobs are complete except the last split one whereas nothing is actually done yet.
Is this assumption about SubMonitor right or did I miss something?
Do you know a way to get this pattern of "composite parallel" jobs to report progress properly?

Thanks in advance.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat