[platform-dev] Allow reference to bugzilla in the N&N ?

Hi all,

As part of https://git.eclipse.org/r/63610 , I've learned that reference to bugs are not allowed in N&N: http://git.eclipse.org/c/www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news.git/tree/4.6/M5/index.html#n51

I don't think this is a good recommendation.
As I understand it that the goal is to keep description complete and standalone, to avoid "See http://bugs.eclipse.org/XXXXXX#cYY for usage description". So I'm OK with not integrating links to bug into description text.
However, I believe there is much value in keeping a "Reference bug: http://bugs.eclipse.org/XXXXX" footer on the description. The value would be that potential contributors would easily be able to map a noticeable feature to the underlying technical discussion and then patches that provided it. Some N&N readers could be turned from plain users to "users reading bugzilla" thanks to this link, and we all know that reading a bugzilla is the mandatory 1st step to become a contributor. So helping users to go through this first step is a good thing; and a "Reference Bug" footer on the feature description of N&N does that.

What do you think about it? Should we revise the N&N recommendation to always include a bug reference in footer (but still deprecate links to bugzilla in actual description) ?

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat