Re: [platform-debug-dev] Variables View updated on DebugEvent.CLIENT_REQUEST, not DebugEvent.STEP_END

When the step starts, what event is fired? It should be a
DebugEvent..STEP_OVER (or STEP_INTO/STEP_RETURN), to correspond with the
STEP_END.

Darin

Ronaldo Ronaldino <ronaldo_ronaldino@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/07/2009 09:36 AM
Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list."
<platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[platform-debug-dev] Variables View updated on  DebugEvent.CLIENT_REQUEST,
not DebugEvent.STEP_END

Hello,
I have problems extending the example
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Debugger/pda-plugins.zip from the
article http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Debugger/how-to.html.

The PDA example works fine with eclipse 3.4 after a few minor upgrades.

I tried to modify it to work with a different debug engine than the "PDA"
example. Everything still works fine except for one thing. The Variables
View is automatically updated after pressing "resume" and "suspend", but
not after pressing "step over".
Any ideas why the behaviour may be different although the same DebugEvents
are fired as in the original example?

The EventDispatchJob of the example contains this part operating on
suspend events:
>} else if (event.startsWith("suspended")) {
>       if (event.endsWith("client")) {
>          suspended(DebugEvent.CLIENT_REQUEST);
>       } else if (event.endsWith("step")) {
>          suspended(DebugEvent.STEP_END);
>       } else if (event.indexOf("breakpoint") >= 0) {
>          breakpointHit(event);
>       }
>    }

If I replace the line
>          suspended(DebugEvent.STEP_END);
with:
>          suspended(DebugEvent.CLIENT_REQUEST);
then the Variable View is updated after stepping, as well.

Am I supposed to fire a DebugEvent.CLIENT_REQUEST at the end of stepping?
(Then why is STEP_END used, and why does STEP_END work in the example?)

Hope you can suggest what I should check although I cannot paste the
complete modifications.

Thanks
Ronaldo