Re: [platform-debug-dev] GSoC Proposal "Expand selected variables button in variables view of debug perspective"

Hi Pawel,

I guess I'm not sure what is the end goal of your changes.  If you would like to submit your feature as an enhancement patch, it's not likely to be accepted if it uses internal APIs (even more so if it uses reflection to gain access to APIs).   If your goal is to create an add-on plugin, you can use whatever APIs you like, but your work is not going to reach nearly as many users.

My goal is a patch. You said, it is not likely to be accepted if it uses internal APIs, but how could it be? If you mean I have to use some Platform-Debug API or other JDT-Debug API, is it possible to go deep without using Reflection API? You are right about externel plugin and its usage. So, the sentence before is the important question.

JDT and Platform Debug are separate and the trade off is that if you write the feature in Platform Debug you'll have access to the internals of the viewers, but you won't be able to access the java type information.  And the other way around if you write the feature for JDT.

I don't think I will need Java type information if the type is modeled within Platform Debug APIs. What do you think?

To summarize, this is a student proposal and most things are uncertain. You(Eclipse Developers) are the ones who should say me "It is better to do this, instead of that". Like a lot of unexperienced people, I am not sure which way I should go. You can guide me.

Thanks for your help.