Re: [platform-debug-dev] GSoC Proposal "Expand selected variables button in variables view of debug perspective"

Hi Ali,
I wasn't sure what GSoC stood for until now, so now I unserstand that this is a proposal for work you would like to perform rather than something you've alreay implemented.

My suggestion is that rather than implementing a specialized expand action, you should implement a specialized Copy action.  I would create a single "Copy Special..." action which opens a dialog where you can specify additional parameters.

One major problem that you're going to encounter is that if you would like to make your feature work with any debugger (and thus be applicable in the Platform Debug project), you cannot make your feature dependent on the debug model information.  So features like "exapand static variables" are not practical to implement, and also are more appropriately solved with view filters rather than expand action variants.  Really the only variants of your feature that I can see being practially implemented is "copy n levels" and "copy (exclude/include matches of regexp).

Cheers,
Pawel

Ali Ok wrote:
Hi all,

I published my proposal at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Expand_Selected_Variables_Button_in_Debug.
Here is a video about my proposal(use Firefox please): http://aliok.info/2009/03/here-is-video-about-my-gsoc-proposal-to.html

And here is my proposal at Google Code: http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/list_self/google/gsoc2009/aliok
I think my proposal at Google Code is not public. It has a lot of information like schedule and etc.
Should I publish that?

Kind Regards,
Ali

PS: Dear Eugene Kuleshov, Krzysztof Kowalczyk, Ahti Kitsik and st.shadow;
Please send your comments now :)