[platform-debug-dev] consistent API for all debuggers?

Greetings…please excuse me if this is not the appropriate mailing list for this inquiry.  I am working on an editor plug-in which supports many languages, and users of course expect to be able to set breakpoints in the editor, regardless of what language they are working on.  The plug-in does not supply debuggers for each language it supports, it merely interacts with other plug-ins which provide a debugger for a certain language, ie. CDT, JDT, PDT, etc.

I am aware of how to interact with any of the many plug-ins which support a debugger in order to set language-specific breakpoints.  For example, in CDT using CDIDebugModel to create a CLineBreakpoint or in JDT using JDIDebugModel to create a JavaLineBreakpoint.  But is there no consistent interface across all debuggers written for Eclipse so that you do not have to be aware of the specific type of breakpoint you are creating?  This would prevent the need to continuously write language-specific code when you wish to add breakpoint support in an editor plug-in for a debugger.

Thank you for your time.

-          Ryan

Back to the top