To: <platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 4:17 PM
Subject: RE: [platform-debug-dev] Threads and stack frames disappear in move from 3.0 to 3.1

Nothing like remote debugging over a latent connection... but it still
works with background content :-)

Ken says:

Break in DebugViewContentProvider.getChildren(..) when the
parentElement
is an instance of my IDebugTarget derivative (let's call it
MyDebugTarget). It checks whether the parentElement is an instance of
IStackFrame. It's not, so it calls
fManager.getChildren(parentElement),
which takes us to RemoteTreeContentManager.getChildren().

Here it calls RemoteTreeContentManager.getAdapter(parent), which
checks
whether parent is an instance of IDeferredWorkbenchAdapter. It's not.
It
_is_ an IAdaptable, so it calls
MyDebugTarget.getAdapter(IDeferredWorkbenchAdapter.class), which
returns
null because it doesn't adapt to IDeferredWorkbenchAdapter (should
it?).

Does your debug target (and other debug elements) eventually subclass
org.eclipse.core.runtime.PlatformObject? By subclassing PlatformObject,
you will pick up adapters registered by the adapter extension and
factory
mechanisms. If you don't subclass PlatformObject, this will not happen
for
free. As well, your implementation of #getAdapter(...) in your debug
elements should call super.getAdapter(...), to give the platform a
chance
to provide adapters that your model object does not provide directly.

For your convenience, we have provided an abstract
org.eclipse.debug.core.
DebugElement implementation in Eclipse 3.1 that you may want to subclass

when implementing your elements. Its not required, but might be
convenient.

Interestingly enough, you may have found a good note for our "migration"

guide. The API of debug elements has not changed, but we assumed that if

you implement IAdaptable you have extended PlatformObject to take
advantage of extensible adapters.

Darin