[platform-debug-dev] Memory View - Internal API for 3.0

The debug platform recently received a generous contribution, known as the
"Memory View". The view comes with a reasonable amount of new API and
extensions for debug models to implement, in order to leverage the new
view. We want to include the Memory View in Eclipse 3.0. However (there
had to be a however), due to our current schedule, we do not have the time
to properly review and evolve (as required) the new API to ensure it
settles into a state that we are happy with for the long term.

Thus, in order to include the Memory view with Eclipse 3.0, and allow
other debug implementations to leverage it, we want to include the view as
"internal API". This means we will include the new interfaces and classes
in internal packges, and annotate the associated extension points as
"internal". Those that use the view will need to understand that they will
be faced with a migration effort to corresponding public API in a later
release. This will allow us to evolve a public API as a community, and
should result in a higher quality result than we could produce ourselves
in the short term.

Darin

Back to the top