[platform-debug-dev] Seeking feedback for Memory View Contribution

Hi -

We are in the process of getting approvals to have the Memory View work
(previously known as the Storage View) contributed into Eclipse.  Before we
contribute the work, we would like to get some feedback regarding what goes
into the debug core.

The contribution will contain a framework for managing memory monitors and
a Memory View .  The Memory View displays data  from a memory monitor in  a
table in hexadecimal format.   Another view, the Memory Rendering View,
has been developed to render data from a memory monitor into different
format, like text in ASCII or EBCDIC, signed/unsigned integers, etc.

We are hoping to contribute the framework and the Memory View into the
debug core.  And I am also trying to decide if the Memory Rendering View
should be contributed into the debug core as well.

The benefit of shipping the Memory Rendering View as part of the debug core
is that the view can be used as a standard view for displaying memory
renderings.  All renderings will be displayed in that view.  Debug
providers can take advantage of this view and its extension point to
display rendering suitable for their debug environment.  The drawback of
this is that because the view organizes the renderings in tabs and as a
result the user can only see one rendering at a time.  The user cannot not
easily see more than one rendering at a time.

The benefit of taking the Memory Rendering View out of the debug core is
that this strategy is more flexible.  Debug providers can write their own
rendering views and decide what it's going to look like and how it's going
to present data. The user is no longer limited to see only one rendering at
a time.  The drawback of this is that it means more work for debug
providers.  Debug provides will have to provide their own rendering views.
In addition, the view for displaying memory rendering is not standardized.
The user may get multiple rendering views if he/she has plugins from more
than one debug providers installed.

What do you think about this?  Let me know.... Thanks!

Samantha Chan
IBM Toronto Lab
chanskw@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top